Monday, April 19, 2010

Navy Bean Soup with Turkey Sausage


I find it hard to conjure something up after working for ten hours, but tonight I managed. With stress washing over me and the rain drizzling down outside all I could think of was warmth and a good book. Do you ever get like that? Sometimes a good cup of coffee works, but tonight I wasn't looking for something to drink...

But there is always vodka in the freezer :P

This is a delicious inexpensive soup. It may seem like a lot of ingredients, but believe me it's well worth it! I just love all the depths of flavors this soup has.

I used turkey sausage, you can use whatever you'd like. Got some ham frozen from Easter? Great! Use it! Add bacon, salt pork, summer sausage, whatever you so desire! Or keep it meat-free, that's always nice too :) (Even though the ham bone or shank to flavor is meat...eep! You know what I mean!)

This recipe does not include soaking time. Please rinse your beans and check for pebbles and other debris the night before. Soak overnight in water.


Navy Bean Soup with Turkey Sausage

16 oz. bag of navy beans (soaked overnight), drained
14 oz. Hillshire Farm Smoked Turkey Sausage (one package), diced
8 cups of water
2 large carrots, finely diced
2 large stalks of celery, finely diced
1 large onion, finely diced
1 cup potato, finely diced
3oz. of tomato paste (should find a 6oz. can)
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 bay leaves
1 cube chicken bouillon
1 leftover ham bone or shank
1 tbsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil


Rinse soaked beans and set aside.

In large stock pot drizzle some olive oil and on medium heat add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to pot. Sweat for 10 minutes. Do not brown!

Add in navy beans, water, potatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, chicken bouillon cube, and garlic powder.

Bring to a boil.

Reduce to low and let simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add dried parsley.

Add in sausage and heat through. Remove bay leaves and ham bone/shank before serving!

Enjoy with a thick crusty bread :)


*I am not paid to advertise any of the product(s) I have linked. I have not been asked to advertise them or create recipes using them. These are just some of the product(s) I love to use and love to eat and want others to know about them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment