Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Saj Bread



I've had this recipe available for quite awhile. I've hrmmed (that's a word, right?) over it for awhile. I think part of the reason I didn't upload was because the photo quality isn't ideal. Maybe one day I'll make it again and update the photo, yes?

I decided that the bread was just TOO good not to share. There was absolutely no leftovers once I made this and I was quite disappointed I didn't have enough yeast to make it again. The boy and I were like lions fighting over the last piece :P

I'd never heard of Saj Bread before, but thought it would go excellent with the curry I made it with. It's flat, chewy, and just plain delicious.

You could even make it like a dessert by adding cinnamon sugar and honey on top. Maybe a couple squirts of whipped cream? Anyone? Anyone? ;)

Saj Bread
1 tbsp. active dry yeast
1 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 c. warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
oil for coating the dough


Mix all the ingredients using a blender, except the flour and the remaining 1/2 cup of water. Then pour the mixture in a big bowl, sift the 3 1/2 cups of flour on top and start mixing until smooth and no longer sticky (also add the 1/2 cup of water in this step.)

Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place for 1 hour. After 1 hour the dough should be doubled in bulk. Knead with hand for a few minutes, then start to divide the dough into medium sized balls.

Using a floured rolling pin (you can also flatten with your hands if you prefer) start rolling the balls into circles on a lightly floured service (in this step use the oil for coating).

Put a skillet on low heat. When it becomes hot, put the flattened dough in it. Bake for 30 seconds to 1 minute until golden. Flip the bread to the other side for another 30 seconds. Pile your bread and cover to keep them soft.

Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment