Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pilgrim's Potato Chowder


I don't consider myself a soup person. Although I will eat it, it's definitely not something that I crave. My mother subscribes to Paula Deen's magazine so I always take the opportunity to browse through them. Pretty much anything the Queen of Butter cooks up looks and sounds delicious. I stumbled across this chowder and it seemed interesting. Something along the lines of a potato soup, and let me tell you I love potato soup! Especially with the little dumplings on the top!

This is an easy peasy recipe that's full of flavor. It's thick and warm and perfect for the cooler rainy days we've been having lately. Of course you can control the thickness with some water or broth, but I let the recipe lead me. It's stick to your ribs good, especially with some buttered bread!


Pilgrim's Potato Chowder
adapted from Cooking with Paula Deen Magazine, Jan/Feb 2007

1 pound of Yukon gold potatoes, cubed and divided (about 3 medium)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium-fat free
1 cup carrot, sliced rounds
1 (11oz.) can corn, drained
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, sliced
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tbsp. flour
1 cup half-n-half *
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 cups grated Swiss or Monterey Jack cheese

* = if you don't have half-n-half melt 1 tbsp. butter in 1 cup of milk


Combine half of potatoes with broth in saucepan with tight fitting lid. Bring to boil and simmer about 10 minutes, or until tender.

Mash potatoes with a fork; stir in remaining potatoes, carrots, corn, celery, onions and next 3 ingredients. Cover, simmer until vegetables are tender.

Dissolve flour in 1/4 cup half-and-half; stir into chowder with remaining half-and-half and parsley. Cook, stirring over medium heat to thicken slightly. Serve topped with grated cheese.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 4-6.


Weight Watchers Points (per serving): 9 points

*I am in no way affiliated with the websites/companies linked. I was not paid to use or advertise their products. I am not earning profit from linking the items. These are items that I personally pay for (WW subscription and produce linked) and will not be reimbursed.

No comments:

Post a Comment