Thursday, April 21, 2011

Last Minute Easter Cupcakes


So whenever there's a holiday coming up I like to bake something for my co-irk...I mean co-WORKERS! They're usually gobbled up fairly quickly and everybody begins zipping around on a sugar high. Maybe I should invest in some IV's and sugar solution? Hmm...

I found this recipe on Martha Stewart some time ago when looking for holiday (Christmas) recipes. They were just so darn cute and seemed pretty easy I had to make them myself! Of course I took a shortcut with the cake (boxed), as baking and all that jazz during the week isn't really my idea of "fun" in the few hours I'm off of work. However you can always bake your own cake from scratch...I'm sure Martha has a few good ones (recipe links to a vanilla cupcake recipe)! :)

The original recipe uses buttercream, but in all honesty cream cheese frosting is my favorite and it's easier. Feel free to use buttercream if your heart (or rather your stomach) desires! I promise I won't be mad.


Spring Chick Cupcakes
adapted from Martha Stewart

1 box white or yellow cake mix
cupcake liners (cheap ones are good, don't waste your pretty ones here!)
Pull n' Peel Twizzlers (for comb, optional)
black or brown jimmies (for eyes)
yellow or orange M&M's
Cream cheese frosting (see recipe below or store bought)
1 bag sweetened shredded coconut


Bake cupcakes like you normally would. I used cheap liners because I don't like cleaning pans. I used Betty Crocker's Supermoist White Cake Mix. Let cool completely! You must let them cool! Do not be impatient...bad! Bad!

Peel cupcake wrappers off cupcakes. When turned upside-down, each cupcake becomes the body of a chick. Spread cream cheese frosting on top of the cupcake working your way down. Martha suggests using a plate to do this, I simply cupped the chick in my hand. Do whatever you're comfortable with! Use a small offset spatula (or butter knife in my case, haha) to coat the sides thickly with frosting, and then mound more on top to create a dome shape. It's okay if you get crumbs in the frosting, the "feathers" will hide them!

Press toasted shredded coconut into the frosting -- it stands in for fuzzy feathers. Gently pat and press coconut into the frosting letting the excess fall back into the tray.

Place eyes (jimmies) on chicks using your fingers or tweezers. Use yellow or orange M&M's to create the beak. Cut Twizzler's down and place on top if you want combs on your chickies! (For other varieties visit the original recipe)



Cream Cheese Frosting
from Martha Stewart

16oz. cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1 cup confectioner's sugar


Put cream cheese and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes. Use immediately.


*Note: This is not an overly sweet frosting. Feel free to add tiny amounts of more confectioners sugar to get it to the right sweetness.


How to Toast Coconut

1 bag of sweetened shredded coconut
1 cookie sheet


Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Spread coconut out evenly on cookie sheet and cook for about 20min. stirring the coconut every 5-7min. until the color is nice and golden brown.



Recipe made 12 cupcakes!



***I was not compensated in any way to advertise or link any items above. I am earning nothing from you clicking the links. These are items I bought with my own personal money and wish to share with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment