Friday, March 9, 2012

Party Sandwiches (Crockpot)



So lately my honey and I have been on a food budget as he's our only income while I'm on vacation. I managed to plan my meals cheaply and only spent about $68 at the grocery store for two weeks of dinners (plus other essentials like milk, eggs, etc.) Not too shabby if you ask me! We normally spend $100 or more so I think I did pretty well with what I had. I bought a lot of canned beans, haha! That's okay though, I love beans!

This is a great simple and delicious sandwich. There's no fuss or muss and it really doesn't need any kind of dressings to it. It's plain delicious on a bakery fresh hot d
og bun! This would be even better on a hoagie bun too! I'm really falling in love with my ancient crockpot....I should take her picture some day! Best $3.00 I ever spent!

We ate this with pasta salad, but your sides are endless. Corn on the cob, fresh garden salad, potato chips, the options go to infinity and back!

On to the recipe!



Party Sandwiches

3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tablespoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped bell peppers and onions
2/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
8 hot dog buns/hoagie buns, split


Rub chicken thighs with jerk seasoning and a little pepper. Place in sprayed slow cooker and add bell peppers and onions.

Combine broth, ketchup and brown sugar in bowl and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.

Remove chicken from cooker with slotted spoon and shred chicken using two forks.

Return chicken to slow cooker and mix well. Fill buns with chicken mixture.

Yields 8 sandwiches.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing, this menu looks so delicious. if your looking for rice box, family food have many choices for your event. nasi kotak Tangerang

    ReplyDelete